How to record your presentation with PowerPoint
Important: Only for Windows users.
Contact Paula Schneider if you need assistance
Firstly, make sure your microphone and camera are set up and working.
- Open the presentation you want and click the Slide Show tab.
- Click the Slide Show tab, select the slide where you want the recording to begin, and then click Record Slide Show.
- During recording, use Ctrl+click to access the recording commands that let you navigate through the slides, change cursors, or trigger screen blackouts or whiteouts.
- Click End Show to stop recording.
- A Save dialog box appears. Click Yes to save your recording, or No if you want to record it again. Saving overwrites anything you’ve previously recorded. If you want to record another slide show with the same set of slides, save your presentation file with a different name.
- Click Play from Start to preview your recording.
Keyboard shortcuts during the recording process
You may want to print this list of keyboard shortcuts to refer to while you’re recording:
Set playback options
When you’ve finished recording and are ready to distribute the presentation, click Set up Slide Show and choose the options that are right for your audience.
- Show type: Show full screen or windowed.
- Show options: Turn off narration or animations.
- Slides: Choose a subset of slides, or a Custom show if you’ve set one up.
- Advance slides: Set up this version of the slide show so someone can page through it manually.
Important: Recordings are added to the presentation on a per-slide basis, so if you want to change a recording, you only have to re-record the affected slide or slides. Also, you can rearrange the order of slides after recording without having to re-record anything. This also means it’s easy to pause for a break while recording a presentation.